Saturday, 1 March 2025

logical song

"There are times, when all the world's asleep, when questions run so deep, for such a simple man.
Can you please, please tell me what I've learned, I know it sounds absurd, please tell me who I am"

Quite possibly, the most poignant and relevant words ever written.
It's funny, these lyrics have expressed how I feel much more than I ever could.

Taylor Swift has made her millions (billions even) from writing songs that appeal to the angst of her teenage fanbase. I guess that music does have that ability to speak to us in ways that other media doesn't. It holds up a mirror to our feelings and we relate to them in a way that makes it feel like we are the only person that really understands their true meaning. They are like subtitles to our own lives.

I often will find myself with a specific song going around and around in my head. And when I stop and think about what the words of that song are, they seem to summarise whatever I am feeling at the time. 
It's not fate, magic or even co-incidence, it is just my brain using the words of others to synthesise all the different thoughts and emotions that are flash-mobbing in my head at the time.

I love music for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment